Warning Signs of Abuse
Does your partner do any of these things? If so, you may be in an abusive relationship. WCF can help you get up, get out, and get away. Call the 24-Hour Domestic Violence Hotline in the Little Rock area, (501) 376-3219 or toll-free (800) 332-4443.
- Has controlling and manipulative behavior
- Has unpredictable mood swings
- Isolates you from your family and friends
- Uses force to get what they want
- Is verbally abusive – constant put-downs, name-calling, etc.
- Threatens violence to you, family members, pets and/or others
- Is often jealous or shows a need for “ownership”
- Tries to “protect you” from outside forces
- Has a history of a violent past or keeps a “mysterious” background
- Embarrasses you in public
- Is emotionally abusive – controls your self-esteem, creates self-doubt
Domestic Violence is a Crime!
Domestic violence is a crime – it’s as simple as that. In addition to being illegal, it is wrong – dead wrong – for far too many victims. All victims must escape the madness of domestic abuse because each of us deserves to be treated with respect. When a partner resorts to physical, psychological, verbal, or sexual abuse, it’s time to GET UP! GET OUT! GET AWAY!
You are not alone. Women and Children First can help.
On average, it takes a woman seven tries before she successfully leaves her abuser. Here are some common fears and feelings of people who leave abusers:
- I don’t know what will happen when I leave
- I don’t know what services are available for me
- I have no access to money or savings
- I am ashamed to admit the abuse to others
- I am afraid of losing custody of my children
- I (and my children) will be homeless
- I fear for the safety of my children and family members