Through gifts of time, talent and treasure, WCF volunteers are the heart of the organization. Thank you for your enthusiasm and interest in volunteering with Women & Children First!
A Shelter Advocate must be at the shelter at all times to assist volunteers. During the following times, volunteers may complete any of the indirect opportunities on the list of Available Opportunities. Actual volunteer work will depend on the specific needs at the shelter.
- Sunday – 10:00am-6:00pm
- Monday-Thursday – 8:00am-8:00pm
- Friday – 8:00am-4:00pm
- Saturday – 8:00am-3:00pm
Organization & Sorting:
- Assist in putting together Welcome Kits. There must be at least 20 welcome kits ready to go. These include toiletries, dinnerware, and a canvas bag to carry the dinnerware and a purse to carry their personal hygiene items.
- Sort and organize donations in the women’s closet (clothing, shoes, undergarments, and etc.) and the toiletry closet.
- Assist in putting together bedding kits. There must be at least 20 pillow cases stuffed with linens. These include a pillow, a pillow case, a sheet set, and a comforter.
- Check the dates on the food in the pantry, organize, and remove items from the floor and place them on the shelves. Food items that have expired must be thrown away.
- Wipe down the inside of the kitchen cabinets.
- Help is needed to keep linens clean.
- Clean the steps and the walls of the dining area.
- Clean out trash cans with hot soap and water.
- Vacuum stairs and clean the railings.
- Move the furniture that’s not being used or those that are worn and damaged.
- Wipe walls down in lounge area upstairs.
- Prep bedrooms for the incoming women and/or families. This includes dressing beds with clean linens, cleaning rooms, and removing trash.
- Help clean and organize the Gentle Jungle.
- Prepare lunch for the Gentle Jungle when needed.
Group Volunteer Opportunities:
- Assist with projects around the shelter.
- Provide a meal for the guests in the shelter.
- Host a craft night or other fun activity for the kids in the shelter.
- Other ideas you and your group may have.
*Volunteer groups are asked to provide any supplies needed for their volunteer project.*
Questions? Contact Megan McBroome at [email protected]. We look forward to hearing from you!