Facts About Domestic Violence
This information is provided as a courtesy of The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence.
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IN ARKANSAS
- 37.3% of Arkansas women1 and 35.6% of Arkansas men2 experience intimate partner physical violence,
intimate partner sexual violence and/or intimate partner in their lifetimes.
- 453 victims in Arkansas were served by domestic violence shelters and programs in one day.
- An estimated 18.6% of Arkansas women will experience stalking in their lifetime.
- As of December 31, 2015, Arkansas had submitted 2,460 misdemeanor domestic violence records and no permanent protective order records to the NICS Index.
DID YOU KNOW?
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have experienced some form of physical violence by an intimate partner.
- On a typical day, domestic violence hotlines receive approximately 21,000 calls, approximately 15 calls every minute.
- Intimate partner violence accounts for 15% of all violent crime.
- Abusers’ access to firearms increases the risk of intimate partner femicide at least five-fold. When firearms have been used in the most severe abuse incident, the risk increases 41-fold.
- 72% of all murder-suicides involved an intimate partner; 94% of the victims of these crimes are female.